Monday, January 22, 2007

"Ice idlis"

Murphy's law played havoc with ma breakfast today. Extremely ravenous, I rode the bike as fast as possible to get to the office cafeteria at the earliest. The earlier I reach, the more are the choices I would hav for b'fast.

But, Choices is all that I had...Despite finding parathas and pongal, I settled for our very own idlis, completely oblivious of it's hardness. It didnt take much time for me to discover that I had made a wrong choice coz, I had to break the idlis to pieces rather than slice it in order to consume. It didnt end there. I kept ruminating the first piece for minutes and had to take so much of pain to swallow it. Had never seen idlis as frozen as this ever before. The next level of hardness would have definitely resulted in eerie noises when People consume it.

I asked the guy at the counter if the idli was straight out of the refrigerator. Owing to his lack of understanding of any of the Indian languages and English, I left it at that without bothering to bother him too much with what may sound like greek and latin to him :-)

As I am typing, am just reminded of the name tat my bro gave for the idlis that he got to eat in Nellore rly stn a decade back "Beerangee idli"...Funny names, pathetic food and poor consumers !!

1 comment:

Raaga said...

my hostel idlis at University used to be of 3 kinds...throw at the wall and it would
1. bounce back
2. stick
3. crack the wall